Foodie Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rhubarb?


Yes, rhubarb.  I guess it's my turn to be the picky one.  I have never been drawn to rhubarb.  My whole life, I've never felt the need to try it.  Sure, it looks like celery, and I love celery.  But it looks like red celery!  Weird! 

Plus, I've never felt drawn to fruit based desserts.  I mean, I'll eat them.  But I don't crave them.  Chocolate, I crave.  I guess if you gave me a choice between a pecan, meringue, or some other type of pie and a fruit pie, I will always choose something else instead of the fruit pie. 

Ok, so this humble little strawberry rhubarb thing just proved how wrong I can be.  I guess Picky isn't the only picky one.  But I will say that I will no longer shun rhubarb.  I think with the right ingredients, and paired with the right complementary fruit, it can taste transcendent.  So call me a rhubarb convert!

More likely it had to do with the pecans and all the brown sugar though.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pecan Loaf
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

I didn't have any rum on hand so I ended up leaving it out.  But I imagine that adding it in would make this taste even more phenomenal!  Plus, this is one of the easiest recipes I've ever made.  Make it now!

3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1  1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup diced rhubarb
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Topping (Optional)
1 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 to 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Beat together the brown sugar, vegetable oil, egg, vanilla and rum. Combine the flours, salt and baking soda; stir. Add dry ingredients to first mixture with the sour cream. Stir in strawberries, rhubarb and pecans.
Spread into a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan — the batter will be very thick. Combine topping ingredients except the pecans, they should be thick and clumpy; add the pecans last and sprinkle over the loaf.
Bake at 350° for about 55 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this Rhubarb widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about rhubarb recipes,Thanks!